A horror movie that gets it right

Today I checked out a movie called “A Dark Song” and it details two people’s attempts at the Abramelin procedure. Lots of cool details on occultism that I appreciated and some funny commentary on armchair occultists. Anyone have any suggestions on movies like this? It’s available on Netflix btw.

19 Likes

There is another thread about that movie on here if you want to add to the discussion. Great movie. Thomas Sheridan also recommends it in one of his recent uploads. Honestly I cannot think of another movie that did as well as this one. I saw one recently called “The Bornless Ones” that tried to add Goetic spirits to the mix, but it was awful and there was not one aspect of actual daemonology in the entire movie. Utter cinematic excrement. If you like Lovecraftian themes I would suggest “The Void”. I actually thought that one was pretty good.

5 Likes

I was going to check that one out. Everybody has been recommending “The Void”. Have you seen “As Above So Below”?

5 Likes

I did, a while back. That was the one where they break into the catacombs under Paris, right?

1 Like

Yeah! That’s the one.

2 Likes

I thought that one was pretty good, too. I think it would be pretty hard to screw up horror as long as you film it in the catacombs under Paris. There was another one filmed there in the late 90’s early 2000’s called The Catacombs that was an excellent psychological thriller as well.

3 Likes

“I own a moped. That’s the dream.”

3 Likes

Technically “A Dark song” didn’t get it right; the rite of Abramelin requires a living child for communication with the Holy Guardian Angel. Although, having said that it pretty much says “Here are the guidelines but if you can’t manage, do what you can”.

Of course this doesn’t detract from the fact that it’s a great film and one that uses the Welsh landscape to great effect; so much so that one could almost argue that the landscape is one of the major characters in and of itself.

6 Likes

But you have to admit, for an indie horror movie made by people who I’m assuming mundane, it does a lot right.

5 Likes

That actually sounds interesting. I haven’t seen many movies with occult themes (although quite a few anime shows I’ve seen borrow from Christian occultism, like Blue Exorcist) but looking at it, the movie seems to have a good reputation. And it’s a thriller… I really like thrillers.

1 Like

One thing I love about Japanese supernatural fiction is their facination with christian occultism. Its always facinated me how Christianity as a religion never quite took a foothold but the mythology did.

So it combined with their own cultural facination of spirits and romanticism of them. So thats why you have so many anime/manga where the “demons” are the heroes and romantic love intrests and Angels end up being batshit crazy 1D characters. (Black butler, devils and realist) Young japanese women eat this stuff up LOL. There are even Lovecraftian style dating games where you can date old ones. You may go insane but at least you’ll die with the one you love lol.

But to get back on topic as someone who does love horror/anime and manga I agree demons are romaticized excessively. I do prefer this end of the spectrum at least they arent always unfeeling monsters or 1D sex fiends like american romance novels.And there’s a lot of research you can see actually using goetic symbols, names(devils and realist, dance with devils, magi) and magic that could theoretically work (fullmetal alchemist)

5 Likes

Oh man, I loved this film. And I feel that the parts they changed up - were for the better. As in, it probably was for the best to not perform the actual ritual on-screen, and the things that were changed (swapping the element system for the Chinese 5 elements, for example) make the ritual bits that were shown unusable. Which is fine, and for the best. To me, it was still the most realistic portrayal of the occult that I’ve seen on-screen, with the fantastical elements explainable by unreliable narration or being an experience in the character’s head/on the astral plane.

2 Likes

Cnt remember one. Wen a wife die, husband hire a lot of necromancers. To conctac her. Ok movie. Also another in red box child die mom hire in sout east asia. Guys to bring him back

I just watched it. It was entertaining. I’ve read The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage. This movie was definitely misleading based on the texts, and based in scary entertainment with few actual relations. I suppose it was still entertaining though. Possibly offensive to anyone who has or intends to practice the intensive rite. As an example, the entire presence of the child, I believe was playing on the use of a virgin child towards the end of the process given in the writings. Entertaining movie, but completely misleading and fear mongering, imo.

Also, the rite isn’t to be conducted by a 3rd party and doesn’t necessarily “trap someone in a location” during or if gone wrong. It was a movie that didn’t get it right. Still waiting for one that does but all good. Fictional movies are about escapism and magick is almost entirely about being present, while factoring visualisation, channeling, memory, forsight, etc., Magick’s dominating resource is using said forces within states of being present in the now. If not, you might be doing more harm than good. But ultimately, it’s use and potential outcomes are your responsibilities. Fun movie tho, thanks.

2 Likes

Interesting, thank you - I will definitely check out “A Dark Song.” I was thinking how nice it would be to have a horror movie that gets it right - but you just can’t do it really and get people to watch - it wouldn’t be that entertaining. You’d have to film someone reading their ass off and meditating for hours, lol. Then you’d need a ritual that’s somewhat sedate and subtle ways the results come to manifest months after. That doesn’t sell tickets. Nope, to sell tickets you need “the Nun” - which was absolutely hilarious. I love it in those movies when they find grimoires and they’re all in plain language with a big picture of the entity, like “here it is folks, here’s the scary dude.”

2 Likes

Weird, I just searched for it on Netflix, “A Dark Song.” Just a bunch of other stuff but not coming up. Is it still on there? Also, is Hereditary on there? For some reason not seeing the titles. Netflix search can be annoying.

1 Like

Haha… so true

1 Like

Weird, I literally just watched it on Netflix 4 hours ago :thinking:

1 Like

It’s still there. I’m looking at it right now. Pops up in search as soon as after typing “a dar” for me. Good luck.

1 Like