When you pick a card that has nothing to do with the tarot

Hi, a few months ago I bought a Rider Waite tarot. This is my first tarot and it has two additional cards that have absolutely nothing to do with divination. Let me explain you, the tarot already comes with a little instruction book but they felt the need to write some kind of copyright and the biography of the person who made this tarot on two cards that you can’t distinguish from the divination cards because they have exactly the same size and the same design once they’re flipped. I remember at the start I had picked the copyright card while asking a question. It’s weirded me out but I’ve immediately set it appart, outside of the deck not to ever pick it again, so I thought the problem was solved. But yesterday while asking a question I’ve just picked a new card that has nothing to do with divination!! (it’s the biography of the author I think!!). I was totally unaware that there was another card that had nothing to do with divination in the deck until yesterday! My question is why would I pick such card?? Does that mean that my intuition is faulty? Is my higher self not guiding me properly? I don’t understand. What’s the problem with me?? Please see the two cards that I have picked:

1 Like

My honest opinion, and I’m not saying this to be kind or reassuring, is you picked these early so you could find them, and get them out of the deck so they don’t crop up at a much later date when it would dent your confidence far more.

I would advise everyone to open a new deck, and sort through the cards before using it, actually count them, lay them out into suits (Swords, Cups, Major Arcana etc) - errors happen and imagine how absolutely AWFUL it would be if you didn’t check your deck properly, ended up with two Towers by accident, and they showed up in a spread about something important, it could be devastating.

Check your cards thoroughly though, and things that set your confidence back like this won’t happen!

And to look on the bright side for real now, maybe that was Pamela Coleman Smith saying hi to you. :wink:

2 Likes

Well I’ve picked the copyright card very early, true. But the Pamela card I’ve only picked it yesterday! That means months after buying the deck, that’s why I was upset… But you’re right I will now have to check every single card no matter the hassle. When I’ve received the deck I’ve immediately shuffled it and started using it without paying much attention to the cards.

But now that we know that there wasn’t the right amount of cards in the deck, does that mean that all my former spreads were invalid? Or less valid? Is a tarot spread containing faulty cards still reliable?

1 Like

Don’t worry about the past, that’s uncertainty (the only demon we have to truly banish!) trying to tear you down a peg or two, your readings were probably fine before, but yesterday was the New Moon, maybe that was why the deck purged itself of a card that won’t help readings?

Just start afresh with the deck, maybe cleanse it (you can cast out any unwanted energies with a crystal using methods like this) - it’s only 72 cards, I like to lay mine out into suits every few uses as a kind of “reset” but that’s just a personal thing, and I’m not a pro or even that much of an expert in this method, I just like having them. :slight_smile:

1 Like