The Amazing Movies Thread

That’s fucking brilliant, thanks.

1 Like

The Nude Vampire
[url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065168/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl]The Nude Vampire (1970) - Plot - IMDb

1 Like

This is one bad ass fan film. Casey Jones. :slight_smile:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LWrEDkzaF4]Casey Jones The Movie Full - YouTube

I’m really excited about this film, the book’s the best fiction novel I’ve read in years, and the main character’s sheer resourcefulness, grit, and drive are inspiring.

I think we’ve all had (and will probably have again) “Mark Watney” moments when we feel just fucked, abandoned, hopeless, and it’s the purpose of fiction right back into the dawn of our species to show us how to handle them. Okay rambling over, here’s the trailer that just hit YT:

The Martian | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX

1 Like

Here are some movies I saw that were quite psychologically disturbing but I think everyone needs to see them because they reveal ideas of madness I never even thought possible until seeing it.

-Feed
-Trick or Treat
-The Human Centipede
-The ABC’s of Death
-VHS 1 & 2

Feed, ABC’s of Death, and the Human Centipede are so vile, they make the Saw movies look like kids play. But if you like psychological thrillers that make you think damn that muthafucker is truly insane, you’ll like those. Some other good ones, not so crazy are…

-Fright Night (from 2012)
-Death Proof (Quentin Terrantino cult classic)
-Tales From The Hood (a spoof of tales from the crypt, very funny to watch after partaking of a certain green herb)

And everyone knows about these but hands down, they are still the best. Rob Zombie’s House of 1,000 Corpses, Devil’s Rejects, and his versions of Halloween. Love how he brought back Danielle Harris in Halloween, considering that she played Micheal’s niece Jamie in the original Halloween movies as a child. Queen of the Damned will forever be a classic! Best damn vampire movie ever made, the music just pulled you in.

1 Like

Silent Hill the movie.
This is the last scene where the demon of revenge,helps Alesa to destroy those who’ve burned her.
! No longer available

Tried to create a moonchild with the Babalon working and all I got was this…

! No longer available

F&%k you Jack Parsons! That formula ain’t nothin’ but a one way ticket to the devil’s diapers!

The original “Evil Dead” is a favorite supernatural scare flick of mine. I drove to the location where the old cabin sat a couple of Halloweens ago … That was pretty cool even though the cabin is long gone.

As far as a movie that inspired me to study magic, I would say “The Serpent and The Rainbow”

2 Likes

[quote=“apocolypticor, post:36, topic:123”][url=http://youtu.be/R9lisTycDZE]- YouTube

I hold this book in the same regard most christians hold the bible. It’s been essential to my every day perception. The movie by the same comparison would be like the passion of the christ. This scene I’ve always been particularly fond of in that, to me, it represents the duality I faced when trying to break my christian programming and actually giving magick a try. It’s still inspiring to this day.[/quote]

What film was this called???

[quote=“FraterRibeye, post:69, topic:123”]The original “Evil Dead” is a favorite supernatural scare flick of mine. I drove to the location where the old cabin sat a couple of Halloweens ago … That was pretty cool even though the cabin is long gone.

As far as a movie that inspired me to study magic, I would say “The Serpent and The Rainbow”[/quote]
The 2013 remake of ‘‘Evil Dead’’ is prety scary.It’s one of the horror movies you have to see if you’re fun of this category.
! No longer available

Inception , the matrix , the ninth gate ,insidious , sinister. Labyrinth, legend, the craft. I don’t really watch t.v. much for obvious reasons but I do DVR a few good series. Penny dreadful, Salem , dexter. if you look for symbolism and watch for the occult you will be surprised how much you find it,even in the most mundane shows, movies.
As above so below , was pretty good as well.

1 Like
  1. Enter the Void
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Beowulf (animated version)
  4. The Truman Show
  5. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  6. American history X
  7. Kung Pow
  8. Idiocracy

Those are some amazing flicks that I frequently recomend.

1 Like

[quote=“Exile, post:72, topic:123”]Inception , the matrix , the ninth gate ,insidious , sinister. Labyrinth, legend, the craft. I don’t really watch t.v. much for obvious reasons but I do DVR a few good series. Penny dreadful, Salem , dexter. if you look for symbolism and watch for the occult you will be surprised how much you find it,even in the most mundane shows, movies.
As above so below , was pretty good as well.[/quote]

The Ninth Gate! I completely forgot about that movie! That is a great one. And a very underrated movie also. The scene near the end where the sneakers girl is getting freaky with Johnny Depp while the castle burns to the ground is great.

! No longer available

Watch this to understand the English sense of humour - it cracks me up every time! :slight_smile:

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

1 Like

! No longer available

I watched this wonderful “feel good” pagan themed movie last night, Wicker Man, the original 1973 British one with Sir Christopher Lee. I haven’t seen the 21st century American remake with Nicholas Cage.

! No longer available

What I immediately thought of was a short story by Aleister Crowley from Golden Twigs called The Burning of Melcarth.

[url=http://hermetic.com/crowley/international/xi/10/the-burning-of-melcarth.html]http://hermetic.com/crowley/international/xi/10/the-burning-of-melcarth.html[/url]

Some events from the movie closely parallel his story to the point of looking as if the people who made the movie stole his ideas. So, using wikipedia to look more into the movie I saw the film was based on a novel called Ritual published in the sixties by a Brit named David Pinner.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0956706304/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=1PE3HC146AYMQ9M8TNA8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2155823282&pf_rd_i=283155]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0956706304/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=1PE3HC146AYMQ9M8TNA8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2155823282&pf_rd_i=283155[/url]

I had never heard of the book before much less read it. Furthermore, in googling I can find no connection made anywhere between the Crowley story and the movie or this book even though there are striking similarities between the movie and Crowley story. Now, my point in all of this. Is there a Crowley fanatic on this forum who knows if the movie was influenced by his story or if it is just coincidence or something else? Not that it is anything important for me to learn in my life, I am just curious. Anyway, wonderful little movie that shows an alternative community embracing paganism in the way mainstream Western culture embraces Christianity.

Also known to the straight world as a “chilling horror story”! lol!!!

But no, I agree, I’m totally on their side, same as I’m on Voldemort’s in the HP movies… and thanks for the background stuff, I didn’t know anything about that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We went to the preview screening of The Martian last night in the west end - it was visually stunning, all the actors fitted their roles though we know less about the crew of the Hermes than the book tells us. But to some extent they tried to cover that in the trailers I guess.

Pros: amazingly beautiful cinematography (Ridley Scott though, so that’s what you’d expect), almost every frame was a work of art; some nice little moments that added to the book, capturing Watney’s early sense of isolation, and then later the emaciated state he’s in; and it was great to see the Hermes (I’d had trouble imagining what that was meant to look like) and the Rovers. Matt Damon did a decent job as Watney, and the humour in the book was handled well without slapstick or downplaying it too much.

Cons: there wasn’t really any tension - they dropped the ongoing sense of the battle Watney’s in against the environment itself, in favour of focusing on the human drama over the attempts to rescue him; the Hab is a solid structure, which takes away the precariousness of the tent-like Hab in the book; the repair he makes in the movie after the airlock incident stretches credulity to the limit; there’s nothing in the movie on Pathfinder’s fate, which again takes away from feeling his battle to survive against the odds, and a few other minor problems he has in the book were left out, though in fairness the film was still some 2 hours 21m long, and to cover it all would probably take a miniseries!

The movie’s ending was a nice touch, I felt the book ended far too abruptly so (without spoilering it) I actually really liked that.

So it was an awesome night out, wonderful to see positive optimistic sci-fi instead of the usual dystopian bullshit as well, and if you like the book you kind of have to see it just for the visuals, the interior shots in the Hermes are amazing.

Now, I know this isn’t a movie review site but I’ve been raving about the book and highly recommend it, especially to anyone practicing alone, plus I’m still buzzing from watching it come to life, oh and the weirdest shit I kept to the end?

The portrayal of the way the astronauts move in the zero-gravity section of the Hermes is EXACTLY how I move in the flying dreams I’ve been having all my life, and is also how my mum and other family describe moving - I can’t find a clip on YouTube yet, but it’s kind of like horizontal motion, like swimming, propelling themselves with a raking motion against the surfaces.

if you see it, or find that online, is that something you’ve ever experienced in dreams or the astral?

Because watching it last night I was struck with the very real feeling that my dreams aren’t idle imaginings, but some kind of precognitive view of a way of moving that’s going to become normal to human beings within the next century, visiting Mars and then maybe leaving the inner solar system altogether, or having zero-g permanent bases…

It was truly weird to see what I’ve felt imitated on screen so accurately, guess I’ll have to research levitation now as well!

1 Like

Fun Halloween movie
! No longer available