On the Subject of Paths

I see people who claim to follow the Left Hand Path or Right Hand Path, and I cannot help but feel that they are missing a vital part of their magickal potential by restricting themselves to a broken or faulty path.

Sure you can attain power along strict LHP or RHP work, but that power pales in comparison to what you can attain if you forgo following either of those routes, instead to ride the middle, between both sides.

I also feel calling them “paths” is faulty in of itself, because it’s not really a path, just a direction.

But those are just my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to tell me what you think if you care to.

3 Likes

If you are talking about “Grey Magick”, then no one can really be LHP or RHP. I deal with both demons and angels equally.

1 Like

“Grey magick” is a similar term. Black would be entirely malevolent magick, while White would be entirely benevolent. Grey is somewhere between the two extremes. As practitioners, a balanced approach is better than an unbalanced one. Heck, look at the hermetic law of polarities, it’ll tell you how it is.

1 Like

I thought the left hand path believed in surpassing god/the all. While the right believed in being one with the all. For me personally I wouldn’t quite consider myself left or right. I help people in need and so far haven’t picked fights with anyone.

4 Likes

You can believe and think whatever you like friend, but i could say the same about you, until you yourself have explored one or the other your never really going to understand it fully.

And as your fairly new to magick and this forum i’m going to give you some advice right now, please keep whatever moral and intellectual judgement you have about others paths to yourself, it won’t impress anyone,

Other then that welcome to the psych ward. :grin:

3 Likes

I was only stating what I thought. I apologize if I seemed judgmental or dogmatic

1 Like

I personally would say black is more for personal gain.

Magick does not truly have a color. However, yes a balanced approach is better but one will do.as they wish, regardless of what another thinks.[quote=“John_Doe, post:4, topic:15442”]
I thought the left hand path believed in surpassing god/the all. While the right believed in being one with the all.
[/quote]

I would say that’s about right.[quote=“John_Doe, post:6, topic:15442, full:true”]
I was only stating what I thought. I apologize if I seemed judgmental or dogmatic
[/quote]

I don’t think he was talking about you.

3 Likes

I’m with @Nagathex, my understanding of left and right is that the left hand path is centered on the self first and the right hand path is centered on others first. LHP people i know use an internal judgement criteria for determining their actions. RHP people i know use an external judgement criteria. Black and white magick are the same deal, as i see it. Black magick for personal gain, white magick for the gain of others.

Which is why i dont know ANYONE who is only one or the other. Here are a couple of excellent posts on this topic from a while ago

http://forum.becomealivinggod.com/t/mastering-the-godhood-concept-no-laws-that-bind/6172

4 Likes

I always enjoy how organized your responses are :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Anziel_Merkaba I am pretty sure EA would disagree that black magick is inherently malevolent. Demons heal people remember?

In my view, healing isn’t black, regardless of who or what does it. I judge white, black, and grey a bit differently than most people…

White is purely benevolent, Black is purely malevolent, everything else is Grey. Benevolence/malevolence is based on what the magick does, and the intention behind why it is being used in that particular instance. Healing someone so you can torture them would be grey at best, while healing someone out of altruism is pure white. Hitting someone with a minor curse for them to work on defending themselves is grey, while hitting someone with a curse because you hate them is black.

1 Like

Paths? focus on what’s practical

@Anziel_Merkaba It’s about the beings themselves for me. If it involves a being aligned with the infernal it’s Black. Regardless of what they are doing.

1 Like